That "Love" Girl
Chapter Nineteen
By Rachel Rene

   The next day, Davy didn't go out on a date with anyone.  Nor did he on the next day, or the next, or the nextS  He and Kari seemed more distant, avoiding eye contact whenever possible.  Still, he hadn't gone out with a girl for nearly a week.
   "Man, what's up babe?  Ya lost your touch?" Micky inquired as he got ready for the staff party.
 His hair wasn't straightened, and he thought that he rather liked the fuzzy look he had.  Micky had been tying his tie around his neck, trying to remember how to do it right, when he had caught Davy moping around the Pad.
   "Something like 'at," Davy answered.  He plopped down on the couch and picked up a book that was lying on the table.  "Wha's this?" he asked as he started reading it.
   Micky glanced at what Davy was looking at.  "Oh, that's a book Mike brought back from the girls' house."  He continued figuring out the tie.
   Davy skimmed, " 'Adica', 'Adisha'," he turned a few pages, " 'Celda', 'Cele', 'Celecia'.  Mick, these are names.  Whacked out names, but they're still names."
   "Really?  Hm, I thought you were just naming cities on Mars."
   Davy rolled his eyes and continued looking at the book.  "I wondeh why Mike 'as it.  I don't remember Valleri giving it to 'im."
   "Vicki gave it to him," Micky explained, still busy with the tie.
   Davy flipped through the book a little more, then set it down again.
   "Hey, why aren't you gettin' ready, man?" Micky asked.  "We're goin' ta pick up the girls in about twenty minutes, babe."
   "I know," he sighed, "I was thinking that maybe I shouldn't go tonight."
   Micky stopped fussing with the tie and stared at Davy.  "Shouldn't go?  Babe, it's a staff party, you're supposed to go.  We play gigs there, ya know.  That means that we're part of the staff."  Davy started to say something, but Micky continued, "Besides, Kari is expecting you to take her."
   Davy was suddenly extremely interested in the couch arm.  "Don't tell me you were thinking of standing her up, Davy."  Micky gave Davy a menacing look, "I swear, if you hurt her I'm going to hang you by your own dental floss."
   Glancing at Micky, Davy shook his head hastily, "I don't want to 'urt Valleri, believe me.  'At's exactly why I can't go tonight, Micky, because I don't want to 'urt 'er."
   "How is standing her up gonna keep from breaking her heart?  You can't just not take her, man.  You said you would take her, and she said she'd go with you.  So you are going to her house, and she is going to come to the party with you, and you will both be each other's date tonight!"
   "'At sounds vaguely familiar," Davy muttered.  "All right, cool it, man.  I'm getting ready now, are you 'appy?"  He stood up and went up the stairs.
   "Very," Micky smiled to himself as he turned back to the fuzzy, long-haired weirdo in the mirror.
   Micky still hadn't gotten his tie right, but he looked dashing in his suit, nonetheless.  Davy had come down already, and was finishing up on his last minute grooming.  Peter and Mike hadn't come down yet.
   "Betteh 'urry up," Davy called up to his friends.
   "Hold yer horses," Mike drawled as he walked down the spiral staircase.  Both Micky and Davy stopped to look up at him as he came down.
   "What?" he asked when he noticed them staring at him, "Is my hair all right?"  He put his hand to his head to make sure it was neat.
   "Man, Vicki's in for a surprise tonight," Micky snorted.
   "Will ya guys stop gapin' at me an' tell me what's wrong?" Mike glanced from Micky to Davy for an answer.
   Davy shook his head, "I don't think I've eveh seen you in a suit like tha'.  You look great."
   Mike blushed, "Aw, c'mon guys.  Ah don' look that good," he said modestly.
   "Is everybody ready?" Peter asked as he came down the stairs.
   "Peteh," Davy shook his head again, "You look great too."
   Peter smiled, showing his killer dimples, "Thank you, Davy, so do you."
   "Hey, Micky," Peter stopped, glaring cautiously towards his buddy.  "Don't look now, but you have something growing on your head!"
   Micky stared coldly at Peter.  He eventually said, dryly, "That's my hair, Pete."
   "Oh," Peter shrugged it off simply.  "Looks groovy, babe."
   Micky blinked.  "Okay.  Thanks.  I think."
   Mike started rounding them outside when he looked at the time.  "The gals're prob'ly waitin' fer us already."  Before rushing out the door, Mike grabbed the flowers that were on the stand.
   "How come Mike gets flowers to give, but we don't?" Peter pouted.
   "Pete," he sighed, "These are yours, too."  Peter took a yellow flower, Micky took a daisy, and Davy took a white rose, leaving Mike with the red rose.
   "What's taking Kari so long?" Mary nervously paced around the living room.  "The guys'll be here any minute!" she exclaimed.
   Vicki was putting in her new dangling earrings that Mike had bought her a few days before.  "She's trying to make a good impression on Davy.  They've been practically ignoring each other all week, and she's making up for it tonight."
   Mary smoothed out her dress, trying to keep herself from shaking.  "Do you think I dressed too formal?" she asked Vicki, twirling around to give a full view of the dress, "Too casual?"
   Vicki smiled, "Babe, Micky's gonna think you look great, you know that.  I agree, too.  I love that shade of blue, you definitely look fab in it."
   Mary blushed slightly as she thanked Vicki for the compliment.  She looked in the mirror at the decorative daisies around the neckline and hem of the sky-blue gown.  "I almost forgot about my necklace!" she gasped.
   Running upstairs, Mary retrieved her necklace from her room.  It was a small, clear-white daisy dangling from a silver chain, with two tiny blue beads on either side of the flower.
   Vicki was just finishing curling her hair when Mary came down.  She turned to her, "Is it all right?"
   "Beautiful," Mary said after looking Vicki's hair over.  "Oh!  I have some clips that will go just groovy with your dress!" she remembered.
   "Thanks," Vicki said as Mary ran back upstairs.  She came down again with two red barrettes.  They matched the same scarlet of Vicki's dress, which was actually Kari's, but had fit Vicki perfectly.  The gown was two layers; the first one was solid silk and had no sleeves.  The bottom of that layer went down to just above her knees.  The second layer was a knitted, transparent silk, and had bell-sleeves.  It was a slightly darker shade of red.  A black ribbon holding a ruby charm was the necklace Mary lent Vicki, and it matched the clips in her hair.
   "I can't thank you guys enough for all that you've done for me," Vicki sighed.  "I'm never going to be able to repay you."
   "Then don't," Mary smiled, "A favor isn't supposed to expect a favor back."  The two girls hugged briefly, before they noticed that Karisma was making her way down the stairs.
   "How do I look?" she asked uncertainly, stopping halfway down the flight.
   "Absolutely gorgeous!" Mary grinned; Kari smiled back, walking the rest of the way downstairs.
 Kari's dress was bright green, sleeveless, and had a thick white stripe around her chest and another about an inch above the hem, which reached above her knees.  She wore her white go-go boots and a lime-colored stained glass necklace in the shape of a flower.  She had weaved a small braid on each side of her face and brought them together in the back.  A green colored barrette held the cherry braids, topping off her garb.
   "My goodness," Vicki said, "I never noticed how green your eyes are until now!"
   Laughing, the three of them embraced.  "This is it, girls," Kari announced, "The Monkees are gonna be in for a treat tonight."
   The doorbell rang, and the girls suddenly came to life and ran around frantically to make sure they were ready.
   "Come on in guys," Kari opened the door for the Monkees.  Davy stepped in, handed Kari the white flower, and kissed her softly on the cheek.  "You look smashing," he gasped.  Blushing, Kari stepped out of the way so the others could enter the house.
   Mike walked inside and slipped the rose into Vicki's hand.  "Wonderful," he whispered before leaning over to kiss Vicki gently.
   "Michael," she sighed as he nuzzled her cheek.  She looked up at him as he straightened up again.  She grinned when she noticed that he still had his green wool hat on even though he was wearing a suit.  "So adorable," she murmured, shaking her head.
   Mary made last minute adjustments to her hair before Micky came up to her.  "What took you so long?" was what she said when he reached her.  She crossed her arms over her chest and glared at him.
   Grinning, Micky gave her the flower.  "Daisy," she glanced from the flower to Micky, "My favorite.  How'd you?"  Before she could say anymore, Micky swept her into his arms and kissed her good and hard.  She could have fainted right then and there.
   "Just a hunch," Micky shrugged.  "I only want to get the best for my Mary Mary."
   Sighing dreamily, Mary smiled, "C'mere, sweetie."  Mary drew Micky into a hug.  She grinned as she stared at his curly hair.
   "Just for you," he whispered, taking her hand in his and pressing it against his beating heart.
   "You still have to fix your tie," she noted.
   "I know."  He scratched his head, "I thought you'd help me fix it.  I don't remember how."  Mary pulled him closer to her as she looped the tie around and secured it.  Instead of letting his tie fall back to its place, Mary towed Micky towards her so she could kiss him again.
   Peter walked inside the house, but waited patiently off to the side.  Finally the other three couples finished their greetings, and they followed him outside of the pad and into the Monkeemobile.

Back to Chapter Eighteen
Back to the Fanfic section
On to Chapter Twenty

*