That "Love" Girl
Chapter Eighteen
By Rachel Rene

      "I kissed him," Kari sighed, "I can't believe I kissed him."
      Mary stopped preparing Vicki's bed for her, and glanced up at Karisma.  "Kissed who?"
      Kari turned her head, "Who do you think?  Remember what I told you before, when I told you that I was pregnant?"
      "Oh," Mary slowly went back to fixing the bed, pulling the sheets across.  "He does like you, ya know," she added, "And you two do look sweet together."
      "But he's one of my best friends!" Kari cried, plopping down in a chair next to Vicki, who was reading a parenting book Kari lent her.
      Glancing up from her book, Vicki looked from Mary to Kari, "So?  What better boyfriend could you have besides a friend?  I think it's great you guys were friends first.  I mean, it's such a gas knowing that he'll stay faithful to you.  After all, the two kinda go together, 'boy' 'friend'."
      "Vicki's right, babe," Mary agreed, "Micky and I are still best friends, but I kissed him tonight."
      Kari smiled, "We saw."
      Mary gave her a questioning look, but decided not to ask.  "You told me yourself that you liked him," Mary changed the subject, "it's just that Wayne seemed more interested."
      "And man, was he," Kari muttered.
      "Give Davy a chance, honey, he deserves it."
      "You know Davy, Mary.  He'll be out with another girl tomorrow." Kari shook her head, "I don't think I'll be able to think of him the same.  I mean, tonight?"
      Mary corrected, noticing the clock, "You mean last night."
      Kari glanced at the clock and nodded, continuing, "Last night he was so darling.  When I danced with him, and afterwards when we were talking, I felt safe.  I felt like I knew I could put my trust in him."
      "Then why don't you?" Vicki and Mary said in unison.
      Kari sighed helplessly, "I need time to think about it.  First, I want to make sure he was - and still is - serious about me."
      None of the Monkees were quite ready to go to sleep yet.  They all seemed to find something else
to do, but they were all dead tired.
      In the kitchen, Peter was up sculpting something out of the left over cheese.  Trying to ignore Peter, Micky was sitting next to him and making a pyramid out of the coffee creamers he swiped from the table at the Orange Ballerina.  Davy and Mike seemed a little bit more productive than the other two.  Mike was in the living room writing a song and Davy was on the bandstand reading over their newest song, figuring out his part.
      Finally Davy glanced up from the paper, not able to concentrate, and asked, "Mike?"
      "Hm?" Mike answered without looking up from his guitar.  He picked up a pencil and started writing down what he had just played.
      Davy searched his mind for something to say.  He felt like talking to Mike, but had no idea what to say.  After a pause, he came up with, "Where's your 'at?"
      Mike looked up at Davy, "Whatta ya mean, where's my hat?  It's," he felt the top of his bare head, "Oh, Ah guess it ain't there.  Where did Ah leave it?" he wondered aloud, skimming the room.
      "You 'ad it at the Ballerina, but I don't remember you wearing it on the way 'ome.  Maybe ya left it there," Davy suggested.
      Mike slapped his forehead, "Of course!  Ah gave it ta Victoria when we were dancing!"  Setting his guitar down, Mike strode over to the front door, "Ah'm gonna go get it, Ah'll be back."
      Davy quickly hopped down and followed him, "I'll go too, don't want you to get kidnapped.  It's a tough world out there, ya know."
      In the kitchen, Micky heard the front door opening, "Where're ya goin'?!" he yelled to them.
     Before it was too late, Micky nudged Peter, "C'mon, we're goin' ta Mary's."
      Arriving at the girls' house, Mike rapped on the door.  He cleared his throat, muttering under his breath what he was thinking of saying when the door was answered.  Turning slowly around, Mike jumped when he saw his buddies standing behind him.
      "What're ya guys doin' out here so late?" he glared at them.
      They stared back at him, "We were following you, babe," Micky replied.
      Mike opened his mouth to protest, but the door swung open and he whirled around.  "Oh, hi Kar," he muttered in a disappointed tone.
      "Thanks, Mike.  Nice ta see ya too," she smiled.  "Come on in, boys, I won't bite."  The Monkees walked into the house, and immediately went to find their preferred girl.
      Mike saw Vicki, and asked for his hat shyly.  "Okay," Vicki agreed to give it back to him, "But it's in my room, I'll have to get it."  He followed her upstairs.
      Mary greeted Micky with a soft kiss, "Couldn't stay away, huh?"
      He grinned, "The guys were droppin' by, so I thought I'd pay ya a visit."  After a moment, Micky added, "Mary Mary."
      Smiling, Mary ran her fingers through Micky's hair.  "You straighten it, don't you?" she said aloud.  "Your hair, I mean."
      Nodding, Micky answered, "Yeah, why?"
      Mary shrugged, "I think it'd look cute if ya left it curly."
      Micky caught her hand just before it was about to fall back to her side, and held it against his cheek, "Ya really think so?" he whispered.
      "Absolutely," Mary breathed softly, her hand warming from the touch of Micky's cheek.
      Peter had carried the cheese sculpture with him, and was busy molding it on the couch, unaware of
anyone else in the house.
      Davy stayed at the door with Kari.
      "I know we discussed this in the car on the way 'ome," Davy told her, "But I just want you to know that I really did enjoy tonight.  I 'adn't really 'ad this much fun with anyone for a long time."
      Kari closed the front door and leaned her back against it, crossing her arms over her chest in a hug, "Me neither," she said.  She didn't know what else to say or do, so she didn't say or do anything.
      Running his hands easily through his hair and keeping them behind his neck, Davy asked, "Are you going to the staff party with anyone next week?" He swallowed hard, waiting for the answer.
      "No."
      Davy risked it, "D'ya wanna go with me then, luv?"
      "Okay," was all she said.
      "All right, then," he smiled uncertainly, "I'll pick ya up at?I'll pick ya up when the othehs come oveh."
      He finally got a smile out of Kari, "Okay," she grinned, "I'll see ya tomorrow at work, I guess."
      "Yeah."
      Up in Vicki's new room, Mike glanced around nervously.  He noticed the pile of books Kari had given her, stacked on a chair.  He read the titles: Parenting for Young Adults, First Time Pregnancies, and Baby Care.  One book lying on the small shelf caught his eye, Unorthodox Baby Names.  The binding on the side was bright orange, and the cover was a psychedelic tie-dye pattern.
     The letters were written in rainbow, and it looked like a brand new book.
      "Here ya go, Mike," Vicki handed him his green wool hat.
      "Oh, yeah, thanks," he murmured, distracted.  "Do ya mind if Ah see that book?" he gestured towards Unorthodox Baby Names.
      Vicki looked where he was pointing, and blushed slightly.  "Sure."  She brought the book over to Mike and handed it to him as she explained, "It's Kari's.  She's letting me borrow some books to help me with the baby."
      Thumbing through some of the pages, Mike inquired, "Do ya have any ideas yet?"
      "I don't even know if it's a boy or girl yet.  But I might have a few ideas," Vicki added.
      "Like what?" Mike asked as he skimmed the pages.
      "Michael Robert."
      Mike instantly looked up from the book, "M-Michael Robert?" he faltered.
      Vicki nodded bashfully, "If it's a boy.  I thought of it last week when I found out what your first name was.  I just switched them."
      "Ah know," Mike couldn't stop gazing into Vicki's eyes.
      She grew self-conscious under his stare, "I wanted a contemporary name also," Vicki changed the subject, "That's why Kari let me borrow the book.  If it's a girl, I liked the name Zerin.  It's on one of the last pages."
      "You didn't know me last week," Mike said, "Kari introduced us today."
      Vicki turned her head to the side, trying to hide her increasingly red face, "I've been watching you perform on stage.  I kinda had a little crush on you," Vicki confessed.
      "Really?"  Mike was flattered, he had no idea that she had liked him.  "Ah kinda had my eye on you too, actually," he admitted, "But Kari said Wayne told 'er that ya liked him."
      Vicki faced Mike again, "He did?"  She closed her eyes, and tried not to cry just thinking about what Wayne did to her, "That's why none of the other employees seemed to want to talk to me," she realized.
     Mike set the book aside and drew Vicki into an intimate embrace, "It's all right now, hon'," he comforted.
      Vicki buried her head into his chest, feeling his warmth.  She breathed in his scent, not wanting to let go.  It was insane, she knew, but she loved being in his presence.
      Looking up into his wonderful face, Vicki sighed happily.  She stood up on her toes and closed her eyes as she kissed him again.  Her hands were cold, and she loved the feeling they had when she cupped Mike's face in them as they kissed.
      Mike's mind was spinning.  He enveloped Vicki's waist in his arms and kissed her back passionately.  Man, what am Ah doin'? his mind finally caught up with him. Ah can't do this to her.
       Letting go of Vicki, Mike stepped back.  He licked his lips and still held her gaze, but couldn't speak.  Finally, he managed to say, "Ah don't wanna hurt ya."
      She nodded, "I understand."
      Mike and Vicki appeared downstairs to find that everyone was waiting for them.
      "If you weren't comin' down in another minute, we were gonna march up there an' drag ya down," Kari glared with her arms crossed.  "I'm not gonna let you two upstairs by yourselves anymore."
      Micky snickered, but she turned to him, "That goes for you and Mary, too, Chuckles."

Back to Chapter Seventeen
Back to the Fanfic section
On to Chapter Nineteen

*