That "Love" Girl
Chapter Six
By Rachel Rene


    When they got back to the Monkee's pad that night, Kari was too tired to walk.  Peter tried pulling her out of the Monkeemobile, but she wouldn't budge.
    "Uh-uh," she shook her head, half asleep, "I don't wanna get up!"  Peter tugged at her arm more forcefully, but she just slumped into the seat again.  Scratching his head, Peter turned to the others, who were amused by the struggle.
    "Alright, alright, I'll try."  Peter stepped aside while Micky crawled into the car, and, unnoticed by Karisma, yelled in her ear and tickled her.  Screaming in surprise, Kari jumped up, almost hitting her head on the roof, and mumbled as she crawled out of the car.  Micky came back out with a satisfied smirk on his face.
    As soon as they stepped inside the pad, Kari trudged over to the couch and laid down on it, fast asleep in seconds.
    Shaking his head, Mike folded his arms, looking at her sprawled over the couch.  "G'night darlin'," he winked, not that she could tell.
    "I guess she's stayin' 'ere tonight, then," Davy shrugged.  Peter was already up the spiral staircase, getting on his bunny pajamas, and Micky was making himself another dinner of whatever was left in the cupboards.


    Kari groaned as she opened her eyes.  Glancing around the room and sitting up, she didn't know where she was.  She screamed.
    Rushing down the spiral staircase, the four roommates ran over to the terrified girl.  "Wha's the matteh?!"  Davy knelt by her side and shook her shoulders.
    Putting her hand to her head, Karisma remembered where she was, and who they were.  "Nothing, I'm fine..." she took in her breath, "I just forgot where I was, that's all..."
    Mike glared at her uncertainly, "Ya sure, hon'?"  She nodded, and asked for something to drink.  Peter hurried off to the kitchen to get a glass of water for her.
    "Thanks, Pete."  She slowly sipped the water, still shaking.  The guys looked at each other and shrugged.  They knew something else was wrong, but
they didn't want to pry.  Mike waved them back up the stairs to talk.
    "What's wrong with Kari?"  Peter asked, he didn't like to see his new friend so shaken up like that.  Davy looked worried too, and Micky was staring out the window.
    "Mick, ain't ya even worried 'bout Kari?" Mike asked him.
    Micky turned to Mike, "Of course I'm worried!  I was just thinking that maybe she needs some time alone... maybe we're rushing her."
    The others stared at him, then they all started laughing, "Yeah, right!  Good one, Mick!"
    After their little laugh attack, the Monkees spiritedly hopped and slid down the stairs to Kari.  When they came back, she was done with the water and had wiped off any trace of tears.  She obviously tried to hide how deep she really hurt.
    "Ya wanna go fer a walk on the beach?" Mike asked her.
    She nodded and forced a smile, "That'd be great, babe."


    On the beach, Micky and Peter were throwing sand pies at each other, Mike trying to get out of their line of fire.  Kari walked ahead of them, staring
at the waves.  Davy jogged up to her and she turned around to wait for him.
    "Hey, Davy."
    Catching his breath, Davy nodded.  Finally, he said, "Hi luv."
    They started walking again, neither one looking at each other, but looking ahead.  Kari crossed her arms across her chest, but said nothing.  After a awhile, Davy broke the silence.  "So, uh... Kari..."
    Without missing a step in her walking or changing her gaze, Kari interrupted, "You wanna know what I'm so upset about, right?"
    "Right... I guess."
    "Well... I don't know.  Maybe it's because I miss my mom, but it was a year ago, and I thought I was over the grief... some things you just can't get over, I guess."
    Davy looked at her sympathetically.  "I'm really sorry, luv."
    "I know.  So am I."  She stopped walking and hung her head, laughing weakly to herself, "I'm sorry.  I don't mean to sound so depressed.  It's not that big of a deal, I know.  I just-" her lip quivered as she tried desperately to keep from crying again, and she started walking, "I don't know what's wrong with me... what I'm gonna do with myself... how I ended up like this."
    Davy looked at her, "Like what?" Davy couldn't see any apparent problems with Kari.
    "I'm..." she couldn't go on.  She started crying, and Davy touched her arm.  She continued, "I'm a mermaid," Kari let out a huge sob and ran into the water, diving in, her feet turning into fins.  Stunned almost to the point of a heart attack, Davy's mouth hung open.
    Grasping for breath and dripping sweat, Kari sat up, screaming.  She looked around the room, and down at her legs.  Yes, her legs, not her fins.  She sighed with relief, "Just a dream..."
    Rushing down the spiral staircase, the four roommates ran over to the terrified girl.  "Wha's the matteh?!"  Davy knelt by her side and shook her shoulders.
    Putting her hand to her head, Karisma remembered where she was, and who they were.  "Nothing, I'm fine..." she took in her breath, "I just had a bad dream, that's all..."
    Mike glared at her uncertainly, "Ya sure, hon'?"  She nodded, and asked for something to drink.  Peter hurried off to the kitchen to get a glass of water for her.
    "Thanks, Pete."  She slowly sipped the water, still shaking.  The guys looked at each other and shrugged.  They knew something else was wrong, but
they didn't want to pry.  Mike waved them back up the stairs to talk.
    "What's wrong with Kari?"  Peter asked, he didn't like to see his new friend so shaken up like that.  Davy looked worried too, and Micky was staring out the window.
    "Mick, ain't ya even worried 'bout Kari?" Mike asked him.
    Micky turned to Mike, "Of course I'm worried!  I was just thinking that maybe she needs some time alone... maybe we're rushing her."
    The others stared at him, then they all started laughing, "Yeah, right!  Good one, Mick!"
    After their little laugh attack, the Monkees spiritedly hopped and slid down the stairs to Kari.  When they came back, she felt a little better, but felt something strangely like deja vu.
    "Ya wanna go fer a walk on the beach?" Mike asked her.
    She nodded and forced a smile, "That'd be great, babe."


    On the beach, Micky and Peter were throwing sand pies at each other, Mike trying to get out of their line of fire.  Kari walked ahead of them, staring at the waves.  Davy jogged up to her and she turned around to wait for him.
    "Hey, Davy."
    Catching his breath, Davy nodded.  Finally, he said, "Hi luv."
    They started walking again, neither one looking at each other, but staring straight ahead.  Kari crossed her arms over her chest, but said nothing.  After a awhile, Davy broke the silence.  "So, uh... Kari..."
    Without missing a step in her walking or changing her gaze, Kari interrupted, "You wanna know what I'm so upset about, right?"
    "Right... I guess."
    "Well... I don't know.  Maybe it's because I miss my mom, but it was a year ago, and I thought I was over the grief... some things you just can't get over, I guess."
    Davy looked at her sympathetically.  "I'm really sorry, luv."
    "I know.  So am I."  She stopped walking and hung her head, laughing weakly to herself, "I'm sorry.  I don't mean to sound so depressed.  It's not that big of a deal, I know.  I just-" her lip quivered as she tried desperately to keep from crying again, and she started walking, "I don't know
what's wrong with me... I feel like I've been through this stuff before.  And I know I'll mess it up."
    "Wha'd you dream about?" he asked her.
    "I can't remember exactly.  I know it had something to do with you."
    Davy stopped to look at her.  "Me?"
    She nodded and they started walking again.  "All of you.  And... we were here, on the beach..." she drifted off, then remembered.  She started laughing, realizing how insane her so-called "nightmare" was.
    "Wha's so funny?" Davy asked quizzically, smiling.
    "I just remembered what my dream was about."  Davy signaled her to keep talking.  "I turned into a mermaid!"
    "What?!"
    "I know, crazy, huh?" Kari giggled.
    The two kept walking for a little while longer, talking and laughing some more.  Soon, they heard the sound of a missile approaching, and Micky threw a
sand pie at them.
    "All right, you asked for it!" Kari called, picking up some sand and throwing it back at Micky, who dodged behind Mike.
    Mike threw his hands in the air, "Why does e'ryone keep hittin' me?!"
    "Sorry, Michael," giggled Karisma, pulling Davy in front of her to protect her from Peter's attack.
    "'Ey now!" Davy laughed, "'At's not fair!"
    Karisma ran from behind Davy to go behind Mike.  "I thought you'd be more help than Davy, you're actually taller than me!"
    "Oh, thanks.  Gee, women are always runnin' ta me fer protection."
    "Wait a minute..."
    "What?" Mike asked, turning his head trying to see her (unsuccessfully).
    "Where's Micky?"
    "Aaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!!"  came Micky's war cry as he pelted them both with sand from behind.
    Kari fell forwards, running into Mike, who ran into Peter (he was coming to get them from the front), and they all toppled to the ground.  Laughing, Micky jumped on top of the pile, Davy jumping in right after him.
    "Hey, can I join the party?" came an unfamiliar (but distinctively feminine) voice from behind them.
    Davy rolled over and quickly got up, brushing the sand off of him and trying to fix his hair.  "'Ello, luv."
    Mike pushed Micky from on top of him, "Won' ya get off, Mick, and let us say hello?"
    But Micky just stared at the girl.  She looked behind her, but knew that he was looking at her.  She self-consciously folded her arms and blushed.  "What?"
    Karisma pinched Micky to get him off, and he yelped as he sprang up.
"Sorry," he shook out of his trance.
    "I bet you're wondering who I am, right?" the girl asked.
    "That would sensible." Kari responded, getting up.
    "Well, I'm looking for a nice neighborhood to live in.  And I noticed one of the houses on this block has a for rent sign.  I wanted to know if anyone knew who lived in that house down there," she pointed to Karisma's new home.
    "I do!  You want to rent a room?"
    "Well, yeah.  I can't afford a whole house.  I just came out of college, and I just need someplace to stay until I can find a full-time job."
    The Monkees and Kari looked at each other.  Kari smiled, "That's great!
I need someone to share the house with... plus I need someone to help pay the rent!  I can even find you a part-time job until you find a full-time one.  Oh, I'm Karisma Valleri Love, by the way."
    The girl shook Karisma's hand saying, "Mary Marilynn."
    Micky smiled, "What if I were to call you, 'Mary Mary'?"
    She blushed, and giggled, "Okay..."
    "Oh, Mary, these are my new friends and neighbors.  I just moved in, too.  Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork, David Jones, and Micky Dolenz."
    Mary shook hands with everyone, but kept her gaze on Micky.

Back to Chapter Five
Back to the Fanfic section
On to Chapter Seven

*