That "Love" Girl
Chapter Five
By Rachel Rene


    Jake left Kari's side and went to talk to some other workers, and someone else sat next to her at the bar.
    "Hey Kari," the man had dirty blonde hair and light blue eyes.
    She was startled by his voice, and looked over to him. "Oh...hi...um...Wayne?"
    He smiled, showing pearly whites, "Yeah.  So how was your first day?" He rested his arm over the counter and leaned a little closer to her.
    "Great, I still can't believe I got so many tips."
    Wayne glanced down for a quick moment then replied, "With a body like that, I don't see why not."  Kari could feel herself turn red, and she looked away, embarrassed.
    She finally looked back at him, "How long have you been workin' here?"
    "Since it opened last month.  I was one of the first employees, Jake's a good friend of mine."
    Kari nodded showing she understood, and looked past him at a girl known as "Freaky Vicki" behind the counter, wiping it down.  She stared at Kari,
giving her an evil look.
    Karisma motioned with her head towards Vicki, "How come they call her 'Freaky Vicki'?"  Wayne looked over his shoulder at Vicki, and she quickly turned her head to look at the cloth wiping the counter.
    "Oh...her.  She has an attitude, and sometimes flips out and goes freaky on ya."
He turned back around and Vicki kept her head down, but eyed Kari, giving her a warning glance.
    "She your girl?" Kari asked.
    Giving out a stifled smirk, Wayne answered, "No way.  She acts like it though... She's liked me since she started working here two weeks ago and is convinced that I like her back, no matter how many times I tell her I don't.  You better watch your back, she gets offensive to anyone who so much as
looks at me."
    "I'll keep that in mind." Kari smiled, and Wayne smiled back at her.


    After a few more songs, the Monkees hopped off the bandstand as various cheers were heard from the staff all over the discotheque.  Peter noticed a girl Kari knew as Terri, wearing lots of beads and eating a salad, and he walked over to her.  Mike stayed with his beloved twelve-string and fiddled around with some tunes, as Micky followed a waitress holding two plates, one with an almost whole hamburger on it (what he was really after was the food, not the girl).  Davy walked over to Kari and Wayne.
   "So, wha'd ya think of our pehformance?" Davy asked as he rested his side on the counter top, on the other side of Kari.
    She glanced over her shoulders.  "Oh, hi, Davy.  It was great...and guess what?  Ya got the job!"
    "Really?!  Thanks Kari, ya really 'elped us out...we needed 'at money for the rent."
    Kari swirled around on the seat and put her hand over Davy's, "No prob. babe!  I was glad ta help out, after all, you guys helped me unpack!"  She
winked at him and turned back around.
    Davy stayed for a second, then sighed and left to go look for some girl so he could add another phone number to his collection.

Back to Chapter Four
Back to the Fanfic section
On to Chapter Six

*