That "Love" Girl
Chapter Eleven
By Rachel Rene

    Micky grumbled as he walked sleepily down the spiral staircase scratching the side of his head, "Pete... Man, how many times have I told you not to-"  He stopped when he opened his eyes and saw his two friends standing in the living room.  "Oh...okay.  Hey Kar.  Hey Mary."
    Mary giggled and answered, "Hi Micky."  Karisma was less than enthusiastic with her response.
    "I need all of y'all down here.  Now.  AND THAT MEANS YOU TOO DAVY!" she yelled up the stairs.
    "I'm 'ere, I'm 'ere," he came down the stairs.  "No need to shout.  Whot's all the fuss about, mates and matettes?" He grinned and sat next to Mike on the couch.
    Micky sat on the armrest with his hands on his knees and leaned forward.  "What's up, babe?" Mary sat on the floor in front of him and told Kari to go on.
    After taking a deep breath, Kari said, "Okay, there's no way I'm gonna be able tell you guys this without...well.  I mean, I can't..." she licked her lips and tried to imagine what she was going to say before she said it aloud.
    "Just say what you told me, Kar," Mary assisted, "It's alright."
    Kari nodded, "I...first of all, I need to know if I can trust you guys to be totally supportive."
    "Of course, hon'," Mike answered, "What is it?"
    "I...I can't say." Kari started to cry, and Davy got up to comfort her.  "It's okay," she assured him, "You can sit down now...you're gonna need to be sitting down."
    All four of the Monkees exchanged confused glances with each other, and Mary tried to tell Kari to just let it out.  Finally, it seemed like Karisma was ready.
    "I'm just gonna say it, then explain.  If I don't say it now, I never will."  Just as Kari opened her mouth to speak again, someone knocked on the door.  Mike got up to get it, and just as he stood up, Kari blurted out, "I'm pregnant."
    Mike sat back down, with a bewildered look on his face.  He didn't know what to say, none of them did.  The knocking got louder, but they all ignored it.  In order to get the attention off her, Kari said, "Shouldn't...shouldn't someone get that."
    "Oh...oh, yeah." Micky said, dazed.  He got up and answered the door.  Mr. Babbit angrily stormed into the Pad, wailing how the rent was up, and they had better pay for it by the next day.  Micky tried to get him to leave, but he would not.
    Mike stood up and said, "Mr. Babbit, I'm afraid you couldn't have come at a more inapt time-"
    "I don't care if it's apt, inapt, or...or...JUST PAY THE RENT BY TOMORROW OR ALL OF YOU ARE OUT!" he hollered.
    Growing more impatient by the second, Davy finally stood up (which didn't help his height much) and said angrily but calmly, "Mr. Babbit," with such sternness that even Mike sat back down and cowered.
    After recuperating from the shock, Mr. Babbit turned bright red.  He huffed, and he puffed.  It seemed he didn't know what to say.
    "Now, Mr. Babbit.  Per'aps you can come at a betteh time?" Davy glared at him, still just as serious and important as before.
    Without anything to say, Babbit left in a fury.  That was the quietest fury they've ever seen him in.  Mr. Babbit didn't even slam the door, he just sorta walked out confused, angry, and stricken.
    "Thank you, Davy." Kari said softly.  She was staring at the ground, then eventually broke the silence.  "I'm sorry...I really am.  If I could just go back in time, and...and..."
    "It's not your fault, Kar.  You didn't tell the whole story to them yet.  Help them understand," Mary persisted.
    Davy offered her a seat next to him on the couch, and she accepted.  "Yeah..." he said when she sat down, "I mean... I'd just like to know 'ow anything like 'at could 'appen to someone like you."
    "I guess it wasn't my fault," Kari began.
    "You mean you were...raped?" Micky inquired cautiously.
    Nodding, she continued.  "I, I was at a party with some friends a few months ago.  I got in a fight with my dad because he wouldn't let me go, so I snuck out.  I didn't do any of the drugs, or alcohol, or go upstairs with anyone...in fact, I wanted to leave because everyone else was.  My dad was so right, and I wanted to tell him that, even if it meant I was grounded for life.  I couldn't even find the friends I came with so I could ask for a ride.  So I decided to hitch.  I was so stupid." Karisma was past the tears, but every once in a while she had to stop and let out her breath.  "Some guy picked me up.  He was heading right where I wanted to go, just outside of my neighborhood.  It was late, and I was tired, so I must have dozed off.  The next thing I knew, I was thirty miles out of town, in some cheap motel off the road.  I started panicking; I didn't know what to do, what had happened.  My clothes were all over the floor, and the covers to the bed were way messed up.  The guy was in the bathroom, and I grabbed my clothes and put them on as fast and silently as I could.  I was walking about two miles down the road when his car pulled in front of me.  I tried to run, but he cornered me and..." She couldn't go on.  "I didn't even know his name...that creep."
    "How'd ya get home?" Mike asked.
    "I think he drugged me, because I don't remember anything else until I was found on the side of the road.  Some old man and his wife said they saw me and stopped to see if I was alright.  I told them where I lived when I could get my thoughts straight.  By the time I got home, it was a little past six in the morning.  My dad heard me, and immediately came storming up and yelling.  He screamed at me about how I disobeyed him and how much trouble I was in.  I started crying and saying I was sorry over and over.  He just said, 'Not half as sorry as I am that your mother had to leave me with you.' and walked away."

Back to Chapter Ten
Back to the Fanfic section
On to Chapter Twelve

*