That "Love" Girl
Chapter Two

By Rachel Rene



    "Watch your-" *crash* "-step..." Karisma warned just a little too late,  as Peter stumbled over the step from the doorway to the living room.  She turned on the light, to see Peter sprawled on the floor, with a broken vase next to him.
    "Gee, man, I'm sorry," Peter apologetically held up the vase's biggest pieces.
    "Oh, it's okay, babe.  That's just an ugly vase my granny gave me as a college present.  I'm glad ya broke it, now I have an excuse to put it away."  She took the pieces from Peter, and threw them across the room into the trash can, making each one in.
    "Wow, good arm!"
    "Thanks, I used ta play softball in high school." Karisma replied to Micky's compliment.  They followed her into the spare room.
    "Well, we could start by gettin' the junk outta these boxes here," she pointed to several cardboard boxes in the middle of the room.
    Mike stared at all the boxes in disbelief, "I thought you were up all night unpacking?"
    "I was," she smiled, "that was just the stuff in my room.  I've still got ta unload the stuff for my kitchen, and these in here, and the living room."


    Peter held up a purple lava lamp to Karisma, "Where's this go?" he asked, stumbling to keep his balance.
    She glanced up from her box and pointed, "Right there, next to Orbie."
    Mike looked up from his box, "Orbie?"
    "Yeah, he's my pet gerbil."  Mike shook his head and went back to digging the stuff out of the huge box.
    Davy rummaged through the box he was working on, and came upon another lava lamp, but this one was yellow.  "Hey, Kari."
    She looked up, no one had ever called her Kari since her mom died, "What?"
    "Where d'ya want this one?"
    She looked at it, then said after pausing, "Um...on the opposite wall of the purple one.  Yeah, over there."
    After Davy set down the lamp and returned to his box, he pulled out another one, this one green.  "Over there?" he asked, pointing to the wall next to him.
    "Yep."
    "Listen, 'ow many lava lamps do you 'ave, anyway?"
    She grinned, "Just one more.  It should be the red one."
    Davy looked around for it, "Aha!  'Ere it is!"  He pulled it out and set it on the corner table by the opposite wall of the green lamp.
    "This could be a really psychedelic room, ya know?" Micky looked around, "It's just a li'l plain with the white walls 'n' stuff."
    Kari looked around, "Yeah...I was planning on painting it purple, but then I decided green, then yellow, then pink, and blue.  Finally, I chose to do all of those colors.  I just don't know if I'm gonna do it with, like, each wall a different color, or all the walls have all the colors..."
    "We can help ya.  It'll be fun!" Peter offered.
    "Thanks, Pete, that would be pretty groovy." she winked at him.


    "Well, shotgun, it looks pretty good ta me!" Mike sighed, draping his arm over her shoulder, and giving it a gentle squeeze as the five of them admired the finished guest room.
    It had the four lava lamps at each wall, each resting on a small corner table made of oak, a Celtic pattern engraved around the edge.  A shag carpet lay in the center of the room, pink with purple and green spots, which Kari had spray painted herself at home.  Above the purple lava lamp, was a huge abstract painting that Kari made her first semester in college, all of the colors matching the ones of the lamps' and rug's.  Over the yellow lamp, was a baby quilt Kari's mom had made for her, light pink and blue.  There wasn't anything above the green or red lava lamps, but there were many odds and ends on the desks beside the corner tables.  Kari smiled, taking it all in, it looked perfect except for the white walls.
    "Thanks, guys...I love it!"
    "Wanna work on the kitchen next?" Micky asked her.  She nodded and led the way, holding Orbie's cage.

Back to Chapter One
On to Chapter Three
Back to the Fanfic section

*