That "Love" Girl
Chapter Sixteen
By Rachel Rene

   Peter followed Karisma to a table in the corner, "So what'd ya want to talk to me about?" he asked, scooting into the booth.
   "Okay, it sounds crazy, but I wanted to let you know anyway.  Remember the day we met Mary on the beach, when I woke up at the Pad all shaken up?"
   Peter nodded, his innocent eyes staring blankly back at Kari.  He had no idea where she was going, but he listened intently.
   "Well," Kari continued, "I woke up frightened because I had a strange dream.  At first I had no idea what it meant, it was just weird.  In the dream, I woke up at the Pad, and everything happened just as it did after I woke up, all the way up until I was talking with Davy.  Are you still with me, Pete?"
   "Yeah, I think," Peter nodded enthusiastically.  Kari smiled; he really was adorable when he thought hard.
   "I figured out what was different in the dream than in real life."
   "What?" Peter asked, his eyes widening.
   "In the dream I admitted to Davy that I was a mermaid, and the next morning on the beach, I admitted to Davy something was bugging me, but didn't tell what it was.  Well, what it was that was bugging me was that I wanted to tell you guys that I was pregnant.  I think the whole me being a mermaid thing was symbolizing my feeling it hard to tell you guys that there was something wrong."
   "Uh-huh," Peter blinked, still following, but showing he was still wondering where she was leading him.
   "My point is, the night before I told you guys about me, you didn't say goodnight, or give me a hug or kiss, or anything.  It bothered me at first, as I told Mary, because I thought maybe you somehow found out."
   "How could I have found out?" Peter asked, confused.
   "I don't know, that's why I was so troubled, I guess.  But, I just wanted to know - what was it that you were upset about?"
   Peter sighed, "You promise not to laugh, or tell anyone, or anything mean of that sort?" He asked.
   "Of course!" Kari replied, "You know that.  I cross my heart you can tell me."
   "I was worried about you, but I had no idea it was that serious." Peter admitted.
   "What were you worried about?  I mean, I wasn't that obvious, was I?"
   Peter shrugged, "You just gave off this feeling like you didn't want to be with us anymore.  I was aggravated about Wayne, man, but that wasn't all.  I dunno, I just thought you had already gotten tired of us, or maybe because of what happened that night..." Peter paused, and Karisma looked at him questioningly.
   "What's the matter?" she asked, concerned.
   "It was only yesterday," Peter muttered, "It seems like it was weeks ago.  Man, a lot has happened in just two days, I can tell you that."
   Kari smiled, "Yeah.  But it hasn't all been bad."
   "Anyway, I was just thinking, ya know?  I wondered if what Wayne did to you could have forced you to isolate yourself from us, and you were going to break up with us."
   "Break up with you?" Kari repeated with amusement.
   "Yeah, not want to be our friend." Peter nodded.
   Karisma shook her head sweetly, "I'd never break up with the Monkees.  You guys are the best looking things in town!  Besides, when I make friends, I keep 'em.  Especially best friends."
   "So, ya wanna go find the others?" Peter suggested, getting out of the booth and holding his hand out to help Kari out of her seat.
   "Sure," she took his hand and slid out of the seat.  She asked Peter as she fixed her skirt, "So was that all you had on your mind?  You were just disturbed about me?"
   Peter raised and lowered his shoulders in a shrug as he nodded, "Yeah, pretty much."
   "Thanks, Pete," Kari touched Peter's arm, "That's really sweet."  Peter blushed back.
   They walked together to Vicki and Mike, who were now sitting with Micky and Mary.  Kari looked around for Davy, but decided that he was probably busy off somewhere with a girl.  Oddly, she felt a little exasperated with him for not being there.
   "Whatcha guys up too?" Kari asked as she approached the table.  Peter pulled out a chair for her, she thanked him, and he pulled another one out for himself.
   "We were just talking." Mary smiled curiously.
   "About what, may I ask?" Kari raised her eyebrows in question as she stole a fry from the plate in the middle of the table.
   "No," both of the couples stated at once.
   Kari blinked.  "Okay," she blinked again, "I guess."
   Mike cleared his throat, standing up, "Would ya like to dance, Kar?"
   She took his inviting hand, standing up herself, "All right."  Karisma looped her arm in Mike's as they walked onto the dance floor, "Why not dance with Vicki?" she asked him, as they started dancing.
   "Ah did.  Maybe we could talk while we dance."
   Kari laughed, "I don't think I'll have the breath to talk, after a song or two!"
   "A slow song should be coming up soon, then we could catch our breath," Mike smiled back pleasantly.  Sure enough, another slow song played next.  Mike held Kari's hand in his, his other hand on her waist.  "Now, Ah wanna know what Vicki said to you when you said you'd talk to 'er."
   "Oh," Kari remembered, "Yeah.  Well, she really likes you, but I think you already knew that.  She was just a little lost, that's all.  You know she wants to get to know you more, she just wanted to make sure it was the right thing to do."
   Mike sighed, relieved, and nodded, "Thanks, Kar.  Ah really 'preciate what you're doin' for us."  He twirled her around.
   "You're welcome, sweetie, it's worth it just to see you guys look so happy."

Back to Chapter Fifteen
Back to the Fanfic section
On to Chapter Seventeen

*